In vitro permeation testing (IVPT) or skin permeation testing is a critical tool for understanding drug delivery into the various layers of skin and can aid in formulation selection. Tergus is a recognized leader in skin penetration studies with expertise in various in vitro and ex vivo models.
Tergus has a large bank of 120+ vertical Franz diffusion cells to support IVPT studies. We can help you screen and select actives with optimal penetration properties, characterize the skin distribution of active ingredients and quantify which formulation delivers the drug to its target skin layer. We can also compare your optimized formulation to marketed products.
Our IVPT Services Include:
- Development of sensitive LC-MS/MS methods
- Screening and selection of multiple compounds with optimal penetration properties
- Characterization of skin distribution for active ingredients
- Optimization of formulations to reach target skin layer
- Comparison of optimized formulations to competing products
- Evaluation of drug metabolism in freshly excised skin
- Coordination and out-sourcing for biomarker analysis
Tissue types and surrogate models:
Tergus has access to various tissue banks and companies specializing in disease-state tissue models. Depending on the project needs, an appropriate model can be selected for testing.
- Freshly excised human skin
- Human cadaver skin
- Sheep vaginal tissue
- Porcine tissue
- Buccal tissues
- 3-D Constructs (cultured skin)
- In vitro disease-state models
- Synthetic membranes as human skin surrogates